Not quite adjusted to your new dentures? Or feel like your old dentures just don’t fit the way they used to? Ill-fitting dentures are a common problem that can have negative consequences for oral health and quality of life. It’s important to see a dentist if you are experiencing any symptoms of an ill-fitting denture to prevent further damage and improve fit and comfort. Here are the common signs of an ill-fitting denture:
- Pain or discomfort in the mouth, gums, or jaw
- Difficulty eating or speaking properly
- Slipping or movement of the denture in the mouth
- Mouth sores or ulcers
- Gum inflammation or redness
- Changes in facial appearance, such as sagging or drooping of the cheeks or lips
The fix for an ill-fitting denture can be a denture reline: Which improves the fit and comfort of a denture. Over time, changes in the shape of the mouth can cause dentures to become loose or uncomfortable. There are two types of denture relines: hard relines and soft relines. Hard relines involve adding a layer of hard acrylic to the denture base, while soft relines involve adding a layer of soft, pliable material to the denture base. Say goodbye to slipping dentures and hello to a more secure bite.
The process for adjusting dentures that no longer fit properly typically involves the following steps:
- Evaluation: Our team will examine your dentures and assess the fit and condition to determine if a reline is the right solution for you.
- Customization: Using advanced materials and techniques, we carefully adjust the inner surface of your dentures to achieve an optimal fit that feels natural and secure.
- Precision Refitting: The reline material is placed on the denture, and it sets to create a custom mold of your gums, ensuring maximum comfort and stability.
- Finishing Touches: After final adjustments and polishing, your dentures are ready for you to wear with renewed confidence and comfort.
If you don’t get an ill-fitting denture corrected in a timely manner, it can lead to a number of oral health problems. Here are some potential consequences of not correcting an ill-fitting denture: Gum irritation, bone loss, infections, nerve damage, and oral cancer.
If left untreated, these problems can become more severe and lead to more serious health issues. It’s important to see us as soon as possible if you are experiencing any symptoms of an ill-fitting denture to prevent further damage to you and the denture, which can be pricey to replace.
Here at Emergency Denture Care, our dentists are experts on not only repairing or relining your dentures, often same-day, it is our goal to make sure you’re comfortable and can live the life you want without pain. Come see us at our Bonita Springs, FL office, located inside Emergency Dental Care USA.